Johann Gustav is the Swiss army knife of Danish pianists. He has a broad interest in all genres and fits well into any constellation.
Since graduation from the Music Conservatory, Johann Gustav has been a freelancing band leader, a sideman performing all over Europe and in his hometown Copenhagen. At the age of 23, Johann has conducted and performed solo in over 350 productions in Europes biggest dinner theater, Wallmans.
Johann Gustav is a craftsman. His improvisations have a strong focus on openness, awareness and listening. His personal sound is built on extensive academic study but his work is portrayed in a cheerful, playful and fun manner.
“Johanns Gustav is a rare talent with a frighteningly fast development curve. He absorbs quickly and immediately puts his own distinctive character in any musical situation.”
Niels Thybo, pianist & educator
Johann Gustav (1994) grew up in the country side of Bornholm. He attended piano lessons at the age of ten and quickly developed strong addiction to learning. After a few years of playing he was admitted on a special program for talented students where he was introduced to ear training, music history and theory. This is where his love for piano fell even deeper and he knew at this early age that he would dedicate his life to learning and discovering the craft of music.
At the age of 15, Johann Gustav moved around Denmark to attend various music programs that led him to the Rythmic Music Conservatory in from which he graduated in 2017.
Besides the work on the vibrant music scene he is also an enterprising figure behind the curtain doing all sorts of work; at the age of only 18 and three years forward he arranged his own music festival entitled Musik Over Gudhjem. A non-profit festival with a program consisting of the very best upcoming bands in Denmark. Since then he has been involved in arranging different concerts and cultural events.
Furthermore Johann Gustav is teaching music, accompanying at auditions and working as studio pianist etc.
– June 2018 – June 2020 : house pianist and conductor at Wallmans Copenhagen
– October 2018: album release, Johann Gustav Wood Factory Seizing Intuition
– February 2018 – : pianist w. The Bigband and the Vocals
– 2017 – : concerts and tours w. Lyra
– 2016- : touring w. Norland Wind – mostly in Germany and Ireland
– March 2016: released debut album; Johann Gustav Wood Factory
– 2016: pianist in Radio Mercur, TV series
– 2016 – : more than 400 concerts and several tours w. Moment’s Notice
– November 2016 – December 2017: house pianist at Restaurant Blød Hat, Copenhagen
– 2013 – Juli 2016: founder of Musik Over Gudhjem – a music festival on Bornholm
– 2012 – : freelancing pianist, concerts & private events